Our History
Over 100 years
In late 1917 and early 1918, sample meetings were held in Huntingdonshire and the ladies attending were told of the benefits of forming a WI in their town or village through speeches from Mrs Alfred Watt, the Chief National Organiser, Lady Isabel Margesson and Lady Sandwich. The Stukeleys WI were the first to sign their WI rules on 14th February 1918, and they're still running today! They were closely followed by Ramsey, Alconbury, Great Gransden and Fenstanton later in February 1918.
By April 1918, Huntingdonshire had nine WIs, six of which are still running today. Our Federation was formed and the "Sussex Rules" adopted. Our first Chairman was Mrs Howard Coote and the Executive Committee, now known as our Board of Trustees, held their meetings in the Archdeaconry Library.
In 1924, the WI Office opened at the Hostel in Huntingdon. In 1949, the Federation Office moved to the Old Grammar School. In 1967, the Federation Council voted to change the name to Huntingdon and Peterborough Federation of Women's Institutes (HPFWI). On 22nd May 1972, the Federation Office moved to the WI Centre, 6a Walden Road, Huntingdon, where we can still be found today.
Our building
The site of our WI Centre, 6a Walden Road, is steeped in history. Our building is over 180 years old and used to be the site of a Victorian school. The school was completed in 1843 and accommodated over 100 infants and up to 80 girls, before closing in 1964 after 121 years of providing education.
On 11th January 1972, the Trustees of Huntingdon and Peterborough Federation of Women's Institutes bought the property for £6000. It became the site of the WI Centre and Federation Office.
